Short block got torn apart again. A head stud wasn’t seated deep enough and interfered with the #3,4 rocker assembly. Pulled the head and fixed it, but decided to replace the cylinders and pistons. A set of 85.5 Mahles are on there way. I do believe this means that nothing but the flywheel will remain from the short block that was in the car when I bought it. What a deal.
In the meantime, here’s a preview of the dope paint I’m spraying on the tins:
What a roller coaster. Here is what it took to get here:
- bought “turnkey” car
- week later, so much oil leaking I pull engine. Looks like pushrod tube seals and oil cooler seals
- after much cleaning of the case, heads, etc, realize the case deck is uneven
- bring case to machinist, it’s already on its last line bore, was a 40hp case bored for 85.5 jugs. Line bore is fucked, case beyond repair
- new case, crank, cam
- find mushroomed valve seats, cracks in head. Time for new heads
- shit, while I’m at it, might as well upgrade to doghouse cooling… Get oil cooler, fan housing, fan. Oh yeah, why stop here…
- get case bored for full flow oil filtering (fuck yeah)
- crank is stiff after assembly. Shit, case needs line bore
- better get an oil pressure gauge now that I have a new oil pump, full flow. Will want to keep an eye on pressure and adjust viscosity
God. What a money pit of a motor that came in this “turnkey” car. All that remains from that which drove it here is the flywheel, pistons, and jugs. And I think half of one rocker assembly. Now I’m just waiting on all the missing OG tins to paint (hammered silver). Sooooo close to starting it up….